Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Getting Organized...-ish

Hi. To preface this post let me explain something, I am a perfectionist...but I am a perfectionist who's life often exists on the edge of chaos. What that means:

-I will never make my bed. I'm an aggressive sleeper and I don't see the point of fixing something just so you can mess it up again. (Plus making your bed makes it more hospitable to bed bugs. Look it up.)

-I like to organize my spaces but leave an area for chaos. For example, everything in my dorm closet is super organized except for one drawer that has become the catch-all for everything without a place.

-If I don't spend some serious time organizing beforehand, everything will be a mess for forever. I am not a magical organizing elf who just happens to organize things naturally. WILL NOT HAPPEN. EVER.

So, in attempt to stay organized I am making an effort to organize EVERYTHING.

The first thing I did was create a schedule:


Then I made grocery lists (weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly or longer)




And finally, I got serious.

 I made a budget.

Pretty adult of me if I do say so myself.

 I pretty much followed Dave Ramsey's percentages in dividing my monthly "income" (a.k.a. scholarships and savings), but I did tweak some things because I am going to college, and I have no debt to pay off...yet. In my budget I also created a space to track my monthly bank account balances (both checking and savings) that way I can keep an eye on my overall money situation.


Whew... (I may have said "mother of pearl" once or twice in this process.)

I'll keep you posted on how it all works out...it may need some tinkering. And for a dose of reality:

This is my bed: 


Now you understand. 


Follow the yellow brick road.

-McKenna



No comments:

Post a Comment