Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mother of Pearl: Dorm Edition


Now, don't get me wrong, I love living on campus (mostly because I only have to wake up 15 minutes before class) but there are definitely some drawbacks. Here is a list of MoP Moments I've had so far:

1. NO AC! 
You see that fan in my window? Yeah, that's the only reason I was able to sleep at all for the majority of my first month up here. My dorm has no air conditioning, I'm on the third floor, and it averaged around 90 degrees for the first little bit. It. Was. Terrible. Luckily, it's starting to cool off so it's not that bad anymore (give it about a month and a half and I'm sure I'll be complaining about it being too cold).



2. Fire alarms.
Why is this a MoP Moment you ask? Well, we had three of these the first three days I was here. (The first time it went off it was the RA's room; talk about irony.) The smoke detectors are horribly sensitive, you HAVE to shut the kitchen door when you're cooking or you will most likely set them off. And when that happens the whole building is evacuated, and campus police shows up, and it's really quite a pain. It's so bad that there is a poster about 'How NOT to set off the fire alarm' on the first floor of my building. 

 3. Bunkbeds.
This is not the first time I've had a bunkbed. However, the last time was when I was 13 and it was a good foot wider than the one I have now. The width is not really the problem (I don't move too much in my sleep; I sleep like the dead. My roommate is sometimes concerned by my lack of signs of life while sleeping.). Here are the problems: the sheet never stays on since the mattress is made out of some kind of plastic (which is a problem in and of itself!), it's kind of difficult to get up and down (yes, I've slipped; and yes, it bruised my ankle), and sometimes I just want to sit on my bed without putting in the effort required to get up there. I miss my old bed.


4. Flooding Toilet
Oh yes. This happened. One evening I was walking down the hall when I noticed that my socks were wet. From the water that had flooded out of the bathroom and into the hallway. Our toilet was leaking and the floor was just perfectly sloped to send all that water into our hall. Fortunately, it was just a loose attachment and the water was clean, but still. No one likes to see their hallway flooding, especially when that someone is at the dorm alone because the rest of her roommates have actual lives. So I set up a bowl to catch the water until campus maintenance could come fix it (which they did very quickly).



This my friends is life on campus. It is crazy, distressing, sleep-deprived, and often hilarious. And always Mother of Pearl inducing. I'll keep you posted. 


A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

-McKenna 


No comments:

Post a Comment